The impact of the Movement Control Order has brought challenges which cannot have bee foreseen by any Human Resource Officer. Human Resource Officer is not only answerable to their respective superiors and the company at large but also is the face of the company in dealing with its workforce. These are the Top 5 Question faced by Human Resource Office with our answer;
1) Does the company have to pay their employee eventhough they are required to close during this MCO period?
Yes, The Ministry of Human Resources have issued its guideline via its FAQ which have clearly provided that employers are required to pay their employee during this period.
2) My Company is under essential services or received approval to operate but
my employee has not returned to work, Do I still have to pay my employee?
Employees that do not report to work without valid justification during this period will be deemed unpaid per the FAQ guideline by the Ministry of Human Resource guideline. This however does not mean employees are at liberty not to attend work and can be subjected to disciplinary process if they do not possess valid justification.
3) My company has received approval to operate or is under essential services but with reduced number of employees, Can the company not pay the salary of those employees that are unable to work due to the restriction imposed or deem it unpaid?
No, the employers are still required to pay the salary of those employees
4) Can an employer impose pay-cut/unpaid leave/deduction of annual leave during the MCO Period?
Any act of pay-cut/unpaid leave/utilization of annual leave must be with the agreement of the employee and cannot be forced on employees.
5) Can my company impose pay-cut with the consent of employee to qualify for the Worker Subsidy Programme (WSP) announced by the government?
No, the FAQ issued by PERKESO has stated that employers are not allowed to impose pay-cut on employee during the WSP period and three months thereafter.
For more information, please contact us by;